How to connect to a VPN – simplest, dead easy method (using SoftEther VPN from Japan)

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
zzang79

How to connect to a VPN – simplest, dead easy method (using SoftEther VPN from Japan)

Post by zzang79 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:41 am

How to get a Virtual Private Network (VPN) running in your home connection. I am sharing this because it is the most simplest, dead easy method I have come across.

Step 1

Download the SoftEther VPN software here. Unzip the package to your computer, then run the EXE file to install.

Step 2

Run the program. In the main window on top, double-click on “VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers”.

VPN

This will bring up a list of VPN servers you can connect to. The software was designed in Japan, so there are a lot of Japan servers (look under the “Region” column to see which country that server belongs to). However, you can also connect to other countries like South Korea, US, and United Kingdom.

General rule of thumb: When connecting to your desired country, try to choose a server which has the lowest ping (smaller number is better) and a high line speed (bigger number is better).

Select the country server you want and click “Connect to the VPN Server” button.

Step 3

That’s it! You’re done. You may see some sort of network notification on your desktop after connecting, that is just your network adapter adjusting itself to the new connection.

To disconnect from the VPN, just click Connect > Disconnect, or exit the program completely. Your original connection status will be restored.

Comments:
Other VPNs I’ve used are quite cumbersome to use, requiring you to register for an account and password. Others only work as an add-on in your browser. This is incredibly simple to use, just click and select where you want your connection to be tunneled through.

Using a VPN isn’t illegal. Unless you live in China.