Cluster controller

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
blazzelia

Cluster controller

Post by blazzelia » Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:14 am

Hi,

Recently I tried to test the clustering feature having just one VPN server. The result was that, even while the VPN client was connecting successfully, it was not able to reach any networks behind the VPN server. Someone, here, suggested to revert to a previous backup, I did that, it works again. I was curious to see what actually changed in the configuration so I ran a diff between the backup file and the config file related to the clustering configuration and it looks like the IPsec definition was gone.

Now, Softether documentation says this : Using the SoftEther VPN Server in cluster mode makes some functions unavailable. Of the functions used in stand alone server mode, please note that the configuration data relating to functions described in 3.9.12 are all deleted when changing the server operating mode to cluster controller mode or cluster member server mode. It is therefore recommended to make a back up before changing the server's operating mode. but I was not able to find the said 3.9.12 chapter so maybe someone could shed some light here...

I'm using the GUI to manage Softether server and, in the Clustering Configuration, for the Cluster Controller option there is a separate check box for "Controller Functions Only (No VPN session in itself)". Now, this check box suggest, at least to me, that a cluster controller could accept VPN connections unless I specifically don't want this and I check this box.
So the question is - can a Cluster Controller handle VPN connections? Btw, IPsec/L2TP settings are greyed out in GUI and missing in the config when the server is put in Cluster Controller mode. Even if I add the missing lines directly in the config file, after a service restart the said lines are gone.

Thanks,

B

eddiewu

Re: Cluster controller

Post by eddiewu » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:50 pm

Clustering is only available for the native softether protocol. No L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN etc..

blazzelia

Post by blazzelia » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:27 pm

eddiewu wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:50 pm
Clustering is only available for the native softether protocol. No L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN etc..
Ok, fair enough ... I can't find where is this stated in the documentation but I'm tempted to believe you.

Still, the question remains the same - can a Cluster Controller handle VPN connections itself? Forget about L2TP and IPsec.

Thanks.

B

eddiewu

Post by eddiewu » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:38 pm

Yes

blazzelia

Post by blazzelia » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:48 pm

Thanks