Exit node

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
smokinjoe

Exit node

Post by smokinjoe » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:10 pm

Hi All,

I live in one Caribbean and my children live in Canada. I would like to create an exit node (not sure about terminology) so that they can VPN into one of my PCs, and then exit onto the internet as if they were present here.
So questions
1. Is this possible with softvpn? and if so
2. What specs do I need for the machine to support max two simultaneous sessions. ( I plan to test with an Intel NUCw with a Celeron processor and 8 gigabytes of ram)
3. What softvpn settings would I need to play with.

This would be my first VPN so I am not sure of the capabilities or terminology.

Many Thanks in advance.

shakibamoshiri

Re: Exit node

Post by shakibamoshiri » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:48 pm

smokinjoe wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:10 pm
Hi All,

I live in one Caribbean and my children live in Canada. I would like to create an exit node (not sure about terminology) so that they can VPN into one of my PCs, and then exit onto the internet as if they were present here.
So questions
2. What specs do I need for the machine to support max two simultaneous sessions. ( I plan to test with an Intel NUCw with a Celeron processor and 8 gigabytes of ram)

Many Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome

Answers
1. Yes, You will setup SE server on that exit-node you meant for + SE server configuration you needed
2. You will ask your children to install SE client or any protocols' client you enabled on SE server

What are your OS (your and your children)?
Go to this page https://softether-download.com/en.aspx and download them accordingly
After installation ask for further configuration

shakibamoshiri

Post by shakibamoshiri » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:54 pm

shakibamoshiri wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:48 pm
smokinjoe wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:10 pm
Hi All,

So questions

Many Thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome

Answers
1. Yes, You will setup SE server on that exit-node you meant for + SE server configuration you needed
2. You will ask your children to install SE client or any protocols' client you enabled on SE server

What are your OS (your and your children)?
Go to this page https://softether-download.com/en.aspx and download them accordingly
After installation ask for further configuration

I forgot, you can read these two documents
- https://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howt ... Ad-hoc_VPN
- http://www.softether.org/4-docs/2-howto ... VPN_to_LAN

smokinjoe

Post by smokinjoe » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:15 pm

Thanks. I will read the documentation. And I will be setting up on a Windows PC, but kids are going to be on MacOs, iPad and iOS

shakibamoshiri

Post by shakibamoshiri » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:18 am

smokinjoe wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:15 pm
Thanks. I will read the documentation. And I will be setting up on a Windows PC, but kids are going to be on MacOs, iPad and iOS
SE server supports
- L2TP
- OpenVPN
- MS-SSTP
So find any VPN client which supports one of these.
OpenVPN is widely available.