Win10 SE server also a client to the vpn

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
sicstik

Win10 SE server also a client to the vpn

Post by sicstik » Thu May 04, 2023 5:56 am

Hi, I have a main Win10 pro pc running Softether server that connects all my locations via Layer 2 connectivity and provides the dhcp server. I then have another Win10 Pc with Softether Server as a site to site “client” utilizing a cascade connection and a local bridge for users to connect to locally. This is all working perfectly, any client from the cascade connection gets dhcp from the main server. My issue is that the 2nd Win10 PC is unable to get a IP from the cascade connect to the main server even if I enable the IPv4 protocol for the NIC that is used as the cascade bridge.

I want to be able to RDP Into this PC whenever necessary and it would be really simple to do if it obtained an IP from the Layer 2 cascade connection. Is there any way to do this? When I create the appropriate routes in my local router to VPN server 2, the Win10 PC cannot have a route to the Lauer 2 network or else a loop occurs. How do I stop this?

solo

Re: Win10 SE server also a client to the vpn

Post by solo » Thu May 04, 2023 9:23 am

sicstik wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:56 am
...network or else a loop occurs. How do I stop this?
A network loop? Are you testing both servers on the same LAN?

sicstik

Post by sicstik » Thu May 04, 2023 12:10 pm

No no, I have the “remote” server to have its main virtual hub cascade to the main server that hosts the DHCP Server and the Layer 2 connection to all clients connecting. The “remote” server has a local bridge NIC that provides the site to site vpn. However, the “remote” PC that’s running Softether Server never gets an IP from the main server is my issue.

I have 3 Network adapters, one for the internet, and 2 for the local bridge. I’ve enabled IPv4 in dhcp mode on the local bridge interface thinking that it would also grab an IP address from the main server, but it does not.

solo

Post by solo » Thu May 04, 2023 12:37 pm

Assign a static IP to the remote server's NIC.