Setting up SoftEther VPN Server for Remote Access to Windows VMs on KVM Virtualization

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
shineservers

Setting up SoftEther VPN Server for Remote Access to Windows VMs on KVM Virtualization

Post by shineservers » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:00 pm

Introduction:
Hello everyone,
I need some guidance in setting up SoftEther VPN Server on a CentOS or Linux virtual machine (VM) within a KVM virtualization environment. I have three servers running KVM with over 30 Windows VMs, each equipped with two network cards for public and private networks. The VMs are connected to the same VLAN. My goal is to establish a VPN connection that allows remote access to the Windows VMs' local IPs (e.g., 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3) via Remote Desktop. I've encountered challenges during the setup process and would greatly appreciate your advice and recommendations.

Server Configuration:
- Three servers running KVM virtualization
- CentOS or Linux VM where SoftEther VPN Server will be installed (It'll be present on same VLAN)
- Each Windows VM equipped with two network cards: one for public network and one for private network (192.168.1.0/24)
- All servers connected to the same VLAN for internal communication

Objective:
To configure SoftEther VPN Server on the CentOS or Linux VM to enable secure remote access to the Windows VMs' local IPs from external locations using Remote Desktop.

Challenges and Assistance Needed:
I have been struggling with the setup process and require assistance with the following aspects:
1. Installing SoftEther VPN Server on the CentOS or Linux VM.
2. Configuring SoftEther VPN Server to establish a secure VPN connection.
3. Enabling access to the local IPs (192.168.1.0/24) of the Windows VMs via Remote Desktop once connected to the VPN.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance, step-by-step instructions, or suggestions you can provide to help me overcome these challenges and achieve the desired configuration. If you have experience with SoftEther VPN or similar VPN solutions in a KVM virtualization environment, your insights would be highly valuable.

Thank you in advance for your support and expertise. I look forward to your responses and learning from your experiences.

Best regards,
Bharat Vashist

solo

Re: Setting up SoftEther VPN Server for Remote Access to Windows VMs on KVM Virtualization

Post by solo » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:01 pm

As you encounter difficulties with SoftEther server under Linux, consider installing it in one of the Windows VMs instead. Since all of them are "connected to the same VLAN for internal communication", everything would be up and running with a few GUI setup clicks.

shineservers

Re: Setting up SoftEther VPN Server for Remote Access to Windows VMs on KVM Virtualization

Post by shineservers » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:17 pm

Hi, I tried that but there is no intensive guide for the connection and installation. I installed it perfectly but could'nt find a way how do i connect it to client.

solo

Post by solo » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:36 pm

1. "Installing SoftEther VPN Server on..." Windows
- just double-click the install exe, accept defaults

2. "Configuring SoftEther VPN Server to establish a secure VPN connection."
- for a quick test do not bridge, enable VPN Azure and SecureNAT with all defaults

3. "Enabling access to the local IPs (192.168.1.0/24) of the Windows VMs via Remote Desktop once connected to the VPN."
- connect a remote client with the VPN Azure address and then RDP to 192.168.1.x

shineservers

Post by shineservers » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:20 am

solo wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:36 pm
1. "Installing SoftEther VPN Server on..." Windows
- just double-click the install exe, accept defaults

2. "Configuring SoftEther VPN Server to establish a secure VPN connection."
- for a quick test do not bridge, enable VPN Azure and SecureNAT with all defaults

3. "Enabling access to the local IPs (192.168.1.0/24) of the Windows VMs via Remote Desktop once connected to the VPN."
- connect a remote client with the VPN Azure address and then RDP to 192.168.1.x
I've done as said so. However upon connecting to VPN i can only browse my Local Router IPs instead of VMs IP.

I think I'm going somewhere wrong with setting. Do you want to take a look? Or please advise what should i do.

solo

Post by solo » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:58 am

Make a VPN connection and post as code the output of:

Code: Select all

VPN server:
netstat -r
ipconfig /all
vpncmd localhost:port /server /password:*** /cmd BridgeList
vpncmd localhost:port /server /password:*** /adminhub:@@@ /cmd SecureNatStatusGet
vpncmd localhost:port /server /password:*** /adminhub:@@@ /cmd DhcpGet
//replace: 'port' with number; *** with SE admin password; @@@ with VPN hub's name

VPN client:
netstat -r
ipconfig /all
tracert 1.1.1.1