high cpu usage when clients connect through port forwarding

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
amintnt

high cpu usage when clients connect through port forwarding

Post by amintnt » Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:28 pm

I'm using a server as a relay to connect my users to the end server on which softether is installed (openvpn users). The problem is, when about 100 users connect, softethers takes up the entire cpu and its all 8 cores, and with a large amount of ram. What might be the problem?

I'm guessing it has something to do with the forwarded port, which causes all users to originate from 127.0.0.1 from SE's perspective. Many mac addresses are also generate for a single session (10 macs for example). I can't figure out what might be the problem, as 100 users is not that many to cause such a high load on cpu.

shakibamoshiri

Re: high cpu usage when clients connect through port forwarding

Post by shakibamoshiri » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:53 pm

if you use SE stable version it could be the cause
if you use SE dev version (5+) please give more configuration info e.g
- do you use systemd or no
- how many simultaneous users you have
- is the CPU dedicated or a shared one
- do you have multiple hubs or no
- which OS, Windows or Linux
- etc

hint
on average, CPU consumption for SE is higher than other alternatives

amintnt

Post by amintnt » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:42 pm

Thank you.

- do you use systemd or no ==> yes
- how many simultaneous users you have ==> around 100, almost hogging up the entire 8 cores.
- is the CPU dedicated or a shared one ==> shared, on hetzner.
- do you have multiple hubs or no ==> yes
- which OS, Windows or Linux ==> linux
- etc

It could be related to my other question in the other topic, which turned out to be about the limitation of openvpn softether users in the SE stable edition. I haven't yet had the chance to build the dev edition and use it (and my SE is at least a year old). Alternatively, from a year ago, I created duplicate hubs and changed the default hub using a script in 30-sec periods to distribute users on multiple similar hubs not to hit the openvpn limit. But regardless, this level of cpu usage doesn't seem reasonable at all, given that I have many many more users on v2ray and the cpu usage for that is a lot more affordable.

I will try the dev edition soon (hopefully), and report the results.

Thank you.

amintnt

Post by amintnt » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:03 pm

amintnt wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:42 pm
Thank you.

- do you use systemd or no ==> yes
- how many simultaneous users you have ==> around 100, almost hogging up the entire 8 cores.
- is the CPU dedicated or a shared one ==> shared, on hetzner.
- do you have multiple hubs or no ==> yes
- which OS, Windows or Linux ==> linux
- etc

It could be related to my other question in the other topic, which turned out to be about the limitation of openvpn softether users in the SE stable edition. I haven't yet had the chance to build the dev edition and use it (and my SE is at least a year old). Alternatively, from a year ago, I created duplicate hubs and changed the default hub using a script in 30-sec periods to distribute users on multiple similar hubs not to hit the openvpn limit. But regardless, this level of cpu usage doesn't seem reasonable at all, given that I have many many more users on v2ray and the cpu usage for that is a lot more affordable.

I will try the dev edition soon (hopefully), and report the results.

Thank you.
I built the development version of softether and the problem is gone! The cpu usage has dropped by half, and everything seems great. Wish I had done this sooner (or had read the answers to my previous topic).

Thank you all.