How to establish passing through Server for Internet access?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
thad

How to establish passing through Server for Internet access?

Post by thad » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 am

I have installed Server on Ubuntu.
I have installed Client and Server Manager on Windows 11.
I can establish the VPN connection using the Client GUI. (very nice setup btw!)
When I try to verify that my internet connection is now using the VPN connection by opening my browser and going to icanhazip.com, I still get my ISP's assigned IP address.
I live in China and have setup Wireguard before successfully on Ubuntu server and used it's Windows client, but would now like to try SoftEther to access uncensored internet though the SoftEther VPN Server I have setup. I read through all the instructions and FAQ, but didn't see this topic actually covered?
I expected my internet connection to automatically change to using the VPN connection, but it seems I still have a few things to do or change my local internet connection setup in Windows 11?

solo

Re: How to establish passing through Server for Internet access?

Post by solo » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:02 am

On the server remove a local bridge, if any, and enable SecureNAT with default settings.

thad

Re: How to establish passing through Server for Internet access?

Post by thad » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:45 am

OMG, it just freaking works. That was so easy! Thank you!
How does Windows 11 know to automatically switch to using the VPN Client Adapter?
I guess the SoftEther VPN Client Manager takes care of that and tells Windows 11 to switch the connection to the VPN Client Adapter instead of my regular Intel Ethernet adapter?