Disable Softether welcome web page

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
dev

Disable Softether welcome web page

Post by dev » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:20 pm

My ISP blocks VPN connections via DPI (deep packet inspection) and IP ban lists.

Softether seems to be really good at evading DPI, but it has a glaring omission that it displays a welcome web page for everyone to see, declaring itself to be a VPN server. Which is very easy for my ISP to detect and ban.

How do you disable this landing / welcome web page?

I've tried modifying vpn_server.config to change the following line:
bool DisableJsonRpcWeb.Api fale
to
bool DisableJsonRpcWeb.Api true

then restarted, but that didn't do it. The page still up.

Any idea how to stop this page from showing to everyone visiting my Softether VPN address via https://myvpnaddress ?

centeredki69

Re: Disable Softether welcome web page

Post by centeredki69 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 pm

What welcome web page are you talking about? I have never been re-routed to a "SoftEther Welcome web page" when I connect to a VPNGATE or a SoftEther server. Are you talking about the little popup you sometimes get when connecting to a "VPNGATE server" If so that is controlled on the host server and is not a webpage.

ciscozine

Post by ciscozine » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi @centeredki69,
I have the same problem. Have you find how to disable the web page?

thanks

ozone

Post by ozone » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:17 am

I don't know if you need the possibility to administer the SE server remotely, but if -not- , you could use the adminip.txt to specify from which ip someone can administer the SE-server.
It doesn't kill the welcome page (contrary to what the line "•If you want to disable this embedded web server and JSON-RPC server" might suggest), but at least it seems to disable the admin part.

For the record... as it is now, this welcompage is one of the worst ideas ever: This welcomepage is always visible and cannot be disabled on the port you open the SE server to the world!!!
It has been mentioned many times in the forum that this page should only be visible AFTER successful authentication, and preferably also only to addresses in the adminip.txt.
Please dnobori: Remove this "feature" asap. This is a serious security issue, even without DPI.

Oz

timar.david

Post by timar.david » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi All,

I think it's a very important issue. This web page gives out to much information to the world. I think that if you set"DisableJsonRpcWebApi" to true then the built in web admin console wouldn't ask for authentication any more, but gives out a "The requested URL /admin/ was not found on this server."

But right under it, there is the internal IP address of the server.

So I would very appreciate it if this whole web page could be disabled. Anybody know how to edit maybe the html page to this site?

Thank you.

Dávid

ciscozine

Post by ciscozine » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:01 pm

I think the only solution is compile source code removing the index.html page but I didn't test it.

gg_user

Post by gg_user » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:45 am

It is a very bad idea to have vpn server turned on by default
web server! This will lead to hacking vpn.
It is necessary to enable the administrator to completely disable the web server.

lovether

Post by lovether » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:45 pm

You can use unstable version 5.01.9671 which has fixed the problem.
https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEtherVPN

ozone

Post by ozone » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:26 am

Thank you for the link Lovether.
Wasn't aware that there existed a branch that already fixed it.

I also see a new release from Dnobori, which also hints to a fix.

Oz.

crypto60

Post by crypto60 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Hello, just to clarify, are there binaries available for the 5.xx version ? the latest official download for windows I see is SoftEther VPN Server and VPN Bridge (Ver 4.34, Build 9745, beta) - I am running 4.32 9731 and the "access denied" web page issue is still there, thanks