VPN client use SoftEther GW and internet connection is slow

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
avalan

VPN client use SoftEther GW and internet connection is slow

Post by avalan » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:24 pm

Dear SoftEther team
Thank you for your product. I´d like to ask you one question. We are using SoftEther server with 8 x SoftEther clients. We´d liek to know how to change settings with us gateway. Use client PC with acivated SoftEther client use GW of SoftEther server. If we connect all 6 client PC with SoftEther client us internet connection is dead, because all form these PC use GW of SoftEther server. Could you help us with that please. We want to use gateway of SoftEther server for VPN and lclient GW for internet connection.

Thanks a lot

Michal Rusko

skype AVALAN Michal Rusko

ethanolson

Re: VPN client use SoftEther GW and internet connection is slow

Post by ethanolson » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:46 pm

1. configure the SE client profile to make no adjustment to the routing table. This will make the clients continue to use their own internet gateway. The checkbox for this option is on the profile's Advanced Settings page and is called "No Adjustments of Routing Table".
2. configure the SE server's SecureNAT static routing table to ensure the VPN-connected subnets are pushed to the client. If the client's receive an IP address on the one and only subnet the SE server is connected to, then this step is not needed (not really valid anyway because you're not using SecureNAT in this case).

Those two pieces together will cause the client to pick up only the routes for the VPN subnets and nothing else changes. It should save your internet.

Taym

Post by Taym » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:26 pm

Hello!

Thank you for helping on this.

Will this work on an iPhone using its IOS built-in VPN client?
For some reason, I can't get it to work the way I'd like, or, any other client I've tried works.
It seems the iPhone ALWAYS wants to route all traffic through the VPN tunnel, which I do not want. If I don't make it go through the VPN tunnel, iPhone will simply not go to the Internet once connected to my SoftEther Server.

Could you please provide some help on how to configure the iPhone/Softether server, so that simply all traffic directed to the internet simply uses the standard gateway, while only traffic directed to the VPN tunnel goes there?

Thank you!

sky59

Post by sky59 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:45 am

I use OpenVPN client on Android. It is a basic reqiirement once you connect to vpn to redirect all trafic to vpn. This is the main and only reason to use vpn.

You have 3 options:
- you provide internet access to internet on server side
- you adapt ip route manually to your needs
- always connect/disconnect from vpn depending what you want at this moment

By the way, why do you need this?

I use case 1: server with internet access in Europa, me now in Azia, so when i connect
to servet i am "physically" in europa though i am in azia, so i can connect to all
european georestricted internet sites from azia. :-)

Taym

Post by Taym » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:28 am

sky59 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:45 am
[...]It is a basic reqiirement once you connect to vpn to redirect all trafic to vpn. This is the main and only reason to use vpn.
:) No, it is certainly not the main reason, let alone the only one.

A VPN - Virtual Private Network - is an encrypted communication tunnel from Node A t Node B on the internet.
That's it. Reasons to use it are several.

Popularly, it is used to get to the Internet though a gateway that is not your ISP, for the purposes you described.
Usually, a VPN tunnel is used by organizations to connect two different sites, geographically separated, into one single LAN/WAN, so that they can access each other LAN resources via an encrypted, secure tunnel that traverses the Internet, but gives or grants no access to/from the Internet.
Users in site A will route traffic to the Internet through their Internet Gateway, and traffic to site B though the VPN tunnel.

I am using SoftEther VPN server to access my home LAN anywhere I am in the world, securely. I only want traffic to my home lan IP space to be routed through the VPN tunnel. Not the rest.

This is precisely the reason why the iPhone built-in client has a dedicated option to "route all traffic" through the VPN.
My problem is that it seems to do so even when such option is disabled.

sky59

Post by sky59 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 am

You see, also iSh*t considers main usage for vpn to route all trafic over it once connected

I also access remotely my father's computer over vpn using vnc server/client
Just typing x.y.z.77:5900 into client, no dhcp used anywhere

Also the name vpn says it is a private network, not internet

For you to access home network you do not need vpn, you just need router
"sittting" on public ip

Taym

Post by Taym » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Dear Sky59,

This is my last reply to you out of courtesy.

Thousands of corporations in the world use VPN for the sole purpose of connecting their sites, not to access the the Internet. That implies - necessarily - that traffic is NOT ALL routed throrugh VPN: private traffic IS. Internet traffic is NOT.

You're right. it is "private" and therefore no "Internet". That, again, implies obviously that NOT all traffic goes through VPN. Private traffic does. Internet traffic does not.

If you use a VPN service to mask your location, that is a DIFFERENT type of VPN use, with different requirements.

End of story.

Now, if anyone could provide some help on how they configured their iPhones with SoftEther, I'd really appreciate some input! Thank you all in advance!

sky59

Post by sky59 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Why then do not you ask iSh*t?

fenice

Post by fenice » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:52 pm

sky59 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm
Why then do not you ask *****
Do try being a bit more polite in your replies, it's not acceptable to abuse people on these forums. If you don't understand the question or replies then politely ask for clarification.
Regards

Bill