Static IP

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
seanas3

Static IP

Post by seanas3 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:22 am

If this question has been asked before please forgive me, I could not find exactly what I was looking for. I am not an IT person, and have gotten this far by watching a lot of YouTube videos. A friend of mine is trying to control a Flex Radio from outside his home network. I believe what i needed to do was create a VPN on his home network so he do such a thing. However, it look like he needs to have a static IP address from his ISP in order to use his radio. Now I thought the my home brew raspberry pi with SoftEther would allow him to defeat this but, as I am in familiar territory, I was hoping someone could help out please. My question really is, does my friend need a Static IP from his ISP in order to use SoftEther? Thank You much for your time.

sky59

Re: Static IP

Post by sky59 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:45 am

A bit difficult to understand what you need, so here is my hopefully answer to the subject:
You need public IP address from isp, this means nobody else in this world has the same IP on
internet at this moment

It can also be static, but for softether is not needed, it has DDNS implemented

So if isp changes your public address (after isp router reboot) softether
automatically adapts to new public ip

seanas3

Post by seanas3 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 pm

A couple of things that puzzle me, and I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I created a VPN with a RaspberryPi and Software. that ip address is xx.xx.xx.135. I was able to get my windows 10 laptop to connect to VPN locally. However, I could not connect to the remotely through SoftEther. Any ideas why this would be the case?

sky59

Post by sky59 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:53 am

it is like this

DU7EYG

Post by DU7EYG » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:18 am

Hi, SEANAS3

We are on a similar steep learning curve about SoftEther VPN, Raspberry pi3 and Flex radio (I have a newly acquired 6400), etc. I am not an IT person either and I have reached what I know by watching youtube videos (suggested also by the flex radio community) and asking around at forums. I just joined this forum because I have a similar concern. Perhaps I can share with you what I have discovered working so far...

Does your friend need a static IP address to work his radio? Reply of SKY59 is correct. You need a public IP address.

But this is how it works for me -
To start, you are connected to your ISP with a modem/router. This modem/router is given a (dynamic) IP address by your ISP. This modem/router connects to the home LAN, including the FLEX radio and the VPN server running on the Rpi3. Once the FLEX connects to the modem/router, this is given an address by the DHCP enabled on it. The RPi3 is also given an address. You can configure that router/modem to give it always the same (static) address to the FLEX and to the Rpi3. In this sense the FLEX has a STATIC IP within the home LAN. The DDNS of SoftEther assigns a dynamic PUBLIC IP address to the VPN server which is what you connect to remotely (using VPN client) from anywhere in the internet. This PUBLIC IP address changes (like when your ISP modem/router reboots) and the DDNS takes care of reaching your VPN server each time.

Hope this helps.

I have a similar problem... I can access my VPN server from the local LAN but when i go out remotely, I cannot access it. How is it working for you?

If you wish to communicate directly with me, my email address at QRZ.com is good (thru my callsign above).

Gerry

sky59

Post by sky59 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:30 pm

There is still way how to do it without public ip.
In softether configuration activate also "azurre" address.
Then server with public ip is in Tsukuma university.
The drawback is it is very very very slow. But for radio controlling should be ok.
This means, you always communicate over university server and no direct connection server-client is made