User cannot access RDS Server.

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
goomba

User cannot access RDS Server.

Post by goomba » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:14 am

We have SE VPN setup and has been for over a year. Everything works and users can connect to and login to the VPN server (Secure-NAT). In fact, we have 10 clients running SE VPN (Snat) and we set everyone up exactly the same way - different accounts/passwords etc., but the same way.

As a result of the Corona-virus, we have a client that have users working from home. Internally, we have to Windows 2012R2 servers with RDS services installed and working properly (has been for over a year).

All users can connect and validate to the VPN server just fine and are assigned an IP address etc..

Each user is running Windows 10 fully updated and patched. We use account/password logins to the SE VPN.

We have ONE user that can connect to 1 of the Windows RDS server using RDS, but cannot connect to the other server when using the VPN. Everyone else is fine. We've tried with IP address, FQDN and Netbios name - no conenction at all. In fact, can't even telnet into the RDS port on the second server.

Every other use can connect to both RDS servers so we know the Services are fine and the port is open.

We can do nslookups and pings to all servers, but just cannot "Connect" to the 2nd RDS server. When this user is in the office on the lan, she can connect to both RDS servers without issue. This only occurs when using the VPN.

Additionally, I can run my VPN client from my office, Starbucks and a few other public wi-fi zones. I connect fine to both RDS servers using her account. So we know it's not a Windows account issue, so I took my laptop to her home and I get exactly the same thing. Can login to the primary (1st) RDS server but not the second.

I spoke with her ISP tech support team and they assure me that they do nothing to block anything (other than port 25 etc.).

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks

goomba

Re: User cannot access RDS Server.

Post by goomba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:33 am

Wow, not even a hint of a reply...

We get it, it’s a free product with Free Community Support, but surely someone else has run into this. While looking at all the unanswered posts, the realization became, that solving problems is not a High Priority.

Oh well - free is not without risk or issue.

It is a great product, we will continue to use and recommend it with a caveat indicating a risk factor regarding support for a Free Product.

In any case, we solved the problem and as it turns out - the resolution was SE.
Goomba.

ivica.glavocic

Re: User cannot access RDS Server.

Post by ivica.glavocic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 am

I have same problem, what was causing it? What is the solution?