VPN is slow

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
kereinew

VPN is slow

Post by kereinew » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm

We have a server on a domain that is setup with SoftEther using the Azure VPN connect. Setting it up was easy enough and connecting via remote works but the speeds are slow. This is setup for a client who uses RDP so we are putting VPN in front of it. Ideas?

ddunston

Re: VPN is slow

Post by ddunston » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 pm

kereinew wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:50 pm
We have a server on a domain that is setup with SoftEther using the Azure VPN connect. Setting it up was easy enough and connecting via remote works but the speeds are slow. This is setup for a client who uses RDP so we are putting VPN in front of it. Ideas?
My experience has been that using Azure is very slow. Setting up my own Softether VPN server resolved that issue.

alexdaniels

Post by alexdaniels » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:07 am

Maybe its a server issue. Happens with me sometimes.

Kalinka

Post by Kalinka » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:49 am

Ive got the same problem, just making simple copying in the local data drive and the speed is 3kb/s.

Im using azurevpn as well and only because i couldnt connect with softether only.
Then we tried with azurevpn and voila, connection was successfull but speed is slow AF.

How much does the internet connection speed affect to this?

I have at home and at the server position there is 4G internet connection, approx. 20-30mb.

Could it be that its too slow connection to work properly?

Does anyone know is it important to have faster connection in the remote computer, or in the server computer?

genesys

Post by genesys » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm

It's the same for me.

I THINK what vpnazure is doing is, it tries to do UDP hole punching (both on server and client side). If this is successful, you get a fast connection directly between client and server (note - this seems to only work if you use the SoftEther vpn client software. It can't work if you use the windows built-in VPN client with an SSTP connection).
If UDP hole punching is unsuccessful however, it will route all traffic through the vpnazure server - so you'll be limited by whatever speed this free service can allocate for you.

I believe this is what's happening in your (and my) case. Didn't find a way yet however to verify whether traffic is routed through vpnazure or whether a direct UDP connection could successfully be established.