How to install vpngate with Linux/Ubuntu?

Post your questions about SoftEther VPN software here. Please answer questions if you can afford.
gvilkas

How to install vpngate with Linux/Ubuntu?

Post by gvilkas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:36 pm

I notice that the vpngate.net site has downloads for windows but not linux. Installing and using the windows version was easy thank you.

However as Windows XP support is ending I thought I would switch to Ubuntu but quickly realized that vpngate does not have an equivalent download for Linux.

I downloaded the softether software for linux on the softether site but cant find any instructions on how to install it. I also realize that once I do install it the list of vpns wont be in it as its just softether and not the whole vpngate package.

I have checked the Ubuntu software centre and there is nothing in there with regards to softether or vpngate so I am momentarily stumped. THere is a lot of other vpn software. Can anyone suggest how to proceed?

Many thanks

thisjun

Re: How to install vpngate with Linux/Ubuntu?

Post by thisjun » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:33 am

You can connect all VPN Gate server by following settings.
HostName: Please get from this page http://www.vpngate.net/en/
UserName: vpn
Password: vpn
Pre-shared key: vpn

qupfer

Re: How to install vpngate with Linux/Ubuntu?

Post by qupfer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:37 pm

Open "terminal" and Enter:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install openvpn

(if you are using the new Ubuntu 14.04 LTS you can replace "apt-get" with "apt")

Now visit http://www.vpngate.net/en/ ,check only OpenVPN and refresh the list.
Click on "OpenVPN Config file" of the server you want. Then select the Config-File you want. I would try first a UDP-One and if this makes trouble, a TCP one.
Save the *.ovpn file to you home-directory. Now (re)open the terminal and enter:
sudo openvpn /home/yourusername/vpngate_vpn123456.opengw.net_udp_1869.ovpn
With CTRL+C, you can disconnect the vpn.